Sump Pump Maintenance in Michigan
As with any other important piece of equipment, regular sump pump maintenance is always a good idea.
Sump pump maintenance is usually as simple as doing these few basic tasks. Spend a few minutes checking pump operation during any rainy season and in early spring to ensure reliable sump pump operation.
- Make sure there is power to the outlet the sump pump is plugged into and during operation can cause it to fall, tilt onto one side, or to shift out of position. This can jam the float arm so it can’t activate the pump.
- Periodically add water to the pit to make sure the pump starts automatically and the water drains quickly once the pump is on. If the pump doesn’t start, have it serviced.
- Physically remove the pump from the pit periodically and clean the pit and the grate on the bottom of the pump. The sucking action of the pump can pull small stones or other debris into the grate, blocking the inlet or damaging the pump over time. That the cord is in …good shape. The sump pump should be the only appliance on the circuit.
- Ensure the pump itself is standing upright. Vibrations
- Ensure the outlet pipes are tightly joined together and draining out at least 15 feet away from your foundation.
- Inspect check valve clamps and rubber sleeves, and tighten or replace if cracks are apparent.
Make sure the vent hole in the discharge pipe is clear.
- If your sump pump discharges into an underground piping system make sure the line is clear and that it has a proper overflow.
For added peace of mind, A-fordable Plumbing and Mechanical can install a high water alarm in your sump basket. This alarm will alert you when your primary sump pump fails and the water level in the sump basket reaches a critical stage. This is one of the most important accessories you can add, especially if you have a finished basement.
Our high water alarm system can also be connected to a home security system to alert you even if you are not at home. Remember – All pumps eventually fail. Knowing at the point of failure allows corrections/repairs to be completed before damage occurs. At A-fordable Plumbing, we can respond to an emergency sump pump calls within 1 to 2 hours, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call A-Fordable Plumbing Today for a FREE Estimate: 248-371-0494