Does your garbage disposal make a humming noise but will not grind?
- Locate the service wrench….Most garbage disposals are shipped with a wrench. The wrench is shaped like a little crank. If you can’t find the service wrench, you can try a standard Allen wrench. If you have an Insinkerator disposal you can order the wrench on line from Insinkerator.
- Unplug the disposal… If the sink if full of water, wait for it to drain or bail the water using a bucket or pot.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the disposal under the sink and insert the wrench…Use the wrench like a crank. Work the wrench back and forth in both directions. If the wrench will not turn easily, it’s OK to use a small amount of force. Continue working with the wrench until it turns freely. With the disposal still unplugged, look inside the disposal grinding chamber using a flashlight. Please, don’t put your hands in the disposal! Instead, use a pair of plyers or tongs to remove any debris.
- Plug the disposal back in and check the Overload button… The Overload button is located under the sink, usually on the bottom of the disposal. (In Insinkerator brands, it is a small square red button).
- Turn on the water, then the disposal…
- The disposal should now run!
If if jams again, you may need to repeat the process or contact your plumbing professionals at A-fordable Plumbing & Mechanical. (248) 371-0494